After a nightmare journey, I arrived at the parental abode around 7pm yesterday. (The nightmares were all self-inflicted and I don’t intend to talk about them in a public online space. But email if you want to know.)
Achieved so far
- Sorted dad’s desk so he doesn’t need to bend down to restart the mac or plug in new devices.
- Put mac mini on desk’s keyboard shelf, with the back facing out.
- Rationalised plugs and cables.
- Took all the electronica out of the office in preparation for the following step. USB Peripherals are
- optical drive
- external HD
- miniSD card
- bluetooth earphone charger
- TomTom charger
- camera card reader.
- Drilled a hold in the top of the desk for the keyboard cable
- Drilled four holes in the keyboard shelf for cable-ties to hold the USB hub in place.
- Replaced all the electronica and made sure it works. For example, the iPad won’t charge unless it’s connected to a mac USB port, even though the USB hub is powered.
- Got Reflector working so the iPad’s display can be mirrored to the on the mac (so I can see it remotely). Wrote a how-to.
- Updated iTunes to work with iOS7, which dad’s iPad now runs.
- Connected bluetooth earphones to iPad
Still to go
- put TimeMachine backups on separate device from nightly CarbonCopyCloner clones
- set up and demonstrate AppleTV
- connect printer to mac wirelessly
- show how to remove photos from iPad
And I need to spend time on sister’s finances and filing. Yeehah!