I’ve just applied for some digital democracy work. (Yes, that is a hint!) My covering email (slightly adapted below) says I can do some stuff.
I’m passionate about democracy and IT, especially in hyperlocal democracy (community councils, parish councils, and similar).
Professionally, I’m a part-time social informatics researcher at Edinburgh Napier University, concentrating on use of the internet by, and information literacy in, hyperlocal democracy. See more at https://www.napier.ac.uk/people/bruce-ryan
I’m also a member of the £eithChooses participatory budgeting process steering group, concentrating on written communications.
Prior to returning to academia in 2010, I was production manager at a Scottish educational publisher, running a fair proportion of the IT as well as delivering finished projects on time and in budget.
In response to your specific questions:
- Your name: Bruce Martin Ryan
- Where you live (council area is fine – just to try get some geographic variance): Edinburgh
- If you are a member or supporter of any particular party (again, this is to help with diversity): not an SNP member, but a supporter of practical versions of independence and federalism
- Any other basic info that might be useful (diversity): white male, 50 < age <55, of Austrian and Australian parents; not conventionally heterosexual but in a great hetero marriage; long-standing vegan.
Contribution to some diversity work redacted for this post.
- What tasks you’re able to help with
- Publishing, particularly using Adobe Creative Suite (page layout and illustration) and MS Office
- Map of Scotland’s community councils: http://socprojects.napier.ac.uk/is/CClocationFinderV3/
Second example redacted for this post
- Quantitative data analysis, using Excel. (I also have a tiny bit of experience with SPSS.)
- Qualitative data analysis, using NVivo (and Excel for quick work)
- Hardware: I’ve used to doing my own and other people’s hardware upgrades, and have built a hackintosh.
- OS-related work: I’m content with Windows 7, and can use Windows 10 but vastly prefer Macs.
- Cycle-courier: I’m not fast but I love using my bike, so could distribute things within Edinburgh.