Things are going a lot better:
- Thanks to an anonymised friend, I now know how to say ‘What do you mean “we don’t cater for vegans”?’ (It’s ‘Comment ça vous ne faites pas de service traiteur pour végétaliens? in real French.)
- It turns out RyanAir have only cancelled FR515 on Thursday, so my travel plans remain intact.
- But I admit I’m a complete nong for not seeing that straight away.
- The same friend who gave me the leçons also found a Mac and PC repair shop within walking distance of the conference venue.
- Unfortunately, he didn’t have a replacement MacBook Air power cable.
- He did direct me to a big store that would have one, but it was an hour’s walk away and was due to close in 3 minutes time anyway.
- He didn’t have (or want to give me) a little bit of insulation tape so I could make a running repair.
- All of this conversation was in French – thanks for the leçons again, my colleague.
- But on the way to the computer store, I passed a supermarket which sells insulation tape. So I have applied copious amounts of tape to keep the power cable functioning.
- I also bought some soya milk, vegan paté, and some soya yoghurts. So I’m not going to starve!
- And I got to see parts of St Malo that I wouldn’t otherwise have seen. It has some cycle-paths, a distillery, social housing and (according to the same friend) a restaurant that may sell vegan meals. The hallmarks of civilisation!
Remind me to shut up moaning in future!