For a long time now, I’ve been using my Pismo1 as a web server. It’s now running out of space. Should I:
- delete the 9·2·2 partition and use that space to increase the 10·4·11 partition (cost £0)
- replace the 30GB SSD with a larger SSD or HD (cost £3 for new enclosure)2
- use my netbook3 instead of Pismo. (cost £0)
- refurbish my 17″ MacBook Pro4and use it instead of Pismo. Total cost £2005, but with the advantage that I could run QuarkXpress 7 (useful for freelance work) on a mac that isn’t teeth-grindingly slow or noisy
- something else?
If I go for 3, 4 or 5, what should I do with Pismo? I’m very emotionally attached to her. I’m also very attracted to option 4 – I want SURGE back in my life. But I’m too tired to make a rational decision about £200 just now.
- 400MHz, 1GB RAM, 30 GB SSD (as 2GB for MacOS 9·2·2, 28GB for MacOS 10·4·11)
- I have a 60GB PATA SSD, currently in a USB enclosure and containing installers for SnowLeopard, Lion and MountainLion. I also have a currently naked 60GB SATA HD, for which I’ve just ordered a USB enclosure. So I could CCC the installers from the PATA to the SATA, then put the PATA into Pismo.
- Dell Mini 10v, 1·6GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, MacOS 10·6·7
- 2·5 or 2·6GHz (depending on which motherboard I buy), 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, MacOS 10·5·8 (if I use it for QuarkXpress7) or 10·8·whatever (if it becomes just a web server)
- SURGE’s motherboard died about a month out of warranty. At the time, a replacement would have cost over £600, which I couldn’t afford. I can now obtain a refurbished motherboard for £200, which I can now afford, but it would have only 60 days’ warranty. SURGE would live on my hardware altar, so there should be no strain on his graphics chips.