So my plan for today was
- 16:15 to 16:40 fly Amsterdam to Edinburgh
- 18:00 to 19:00 travel to community council meeting
- 19:00 to 21:00 take minutes at community council meeting
- 21:00 to 22:00 travel home.
That’s not how it went:
- 11:10 check out of hotel and walk to bus-stop as I believe I was advised by hotel reception
- 12:05 arrive bus stop. This stop requires me to make a reservation for the bus to stop here. (Other stops guarantee that the bus will stop there, apparently, I try doing so, but the website doesn’t work. I stagger back to my hotel, and ask them to book me a taxi.
- 13:30 taxi departs for ferry terminal
- 14:00 ferry departs ferry terminal
- 14:20 bus departs for train station
- 14:34 train departs for Amsterdam Sloterdijk
- 15:45 train departs for Schiphol station
- 16:14 arrive Schiphol station
- go to KLM shop. After a wait to get a ticket to be allowed in, I am told there are no spaces on any KLM flight this evening or tomorrow, and that they don’t do standby. Am advised to check online with other airlines.
- Eventually find FlyBE will get me back to Edinburgh early tomorrow afternoon, at only €390:
- 10:25 depart Schiphol
- 10:50 arrive Manchester
- 12:15 depart Manchester
- 13:20 arrive Edinburgh
- Look for hotel online: the Airport IBIS is only 3 miles by free transit bus. The hotel itself is another £150.
- Intersperse phone-calls and texts to Elly with food, buying stamps, processing video, writing postcards, buying stamps and being pissed off.